Equities and Volatility Risk Manager
Type of Job
September 10, 2020
About the job
The RQR team plays a vital role in the firm’s investment process, building a deeply rooted culture of efficient risk management and factful performance attribution. Risk managers will lead research efforts to identify opportunities for improved risk management, investment behavior, and portfolio construction, with the goal of helping the firm deliver superior risk-adjusted performance. The paramount mission of the team is to protect the firm from improper levels of exposure and ensure that risk-taking is always efficient and deliberate.
The Risk Manager will:
• Ensure that risk-taking at the individual portfolio level and at the firm level is efficient and deliberate, by setting appropriate risk guidelines and limits. This task requires having a deep insight on correlations across various market factors as well as having an understanding of concentration and liquidity risk across all asset classes.
• Develop and maintain a framework for capital allocation to maximize risk-adjusted returns and profitability at the various business levels and at the firm level.
• Actively manage the firm’s risk exposures through weekly Risk Committee meetings.
• Lead research efforts to develop innovative risk management approaches, tools and
analytics by leveraging the collective knowledge of the platform. The goal is to enhance
the quality of performance and improve the firm’s risk-adjusted return.
• Enhance understanding of the Firm’s performance by developing intuitive and efficient
frameworks for performance attribution and educating all internal constituencies on those
• Manage and mentor Quantitative Analysts on the team.
Five or more years of experience as a risk manager or a portfolio manager
Detailed understanding of equities risk management, portfolio construction, and trading
Strong knowledge and experience with risk management of equity options portfolios andvolatility trading
Expert knowledge of quantitative finance and statistical programming with a strongfamiliarity of SQL and/or Python
Intellectual curiosity and depth of skills enabling him/her to perform ad-hoc tasks andspecial projects
High-energy and relentless personality with a desire to proactively ideate opportunities andthe ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines in a fast-paced environment
Ability to lead a team and work cooperatively with all levels of staff
Excellent interpersonal skills and “emotional intelligence” – we seek a demonstrated ability to build relationships both internally and externally
Strong communications skills – an ability to clearly and concisely articulate complex ideas to senior management and portfolio managers is critical
Ability to generate creative ideas, solve problems, and take ideas all the way to commercial implementation
A commitment to the highest ethical standards and to act with professionalism and integrity